Author Topic: 1 way trails at Lystie  (Read 233 times)

Offline CKaos

• LDTR Committee
1 way trails at Lystie
« on: May 08, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »
For those that don't already know, PV intend to make Lystie 1 way - very soon!!

LDTR have not supported this move, but we have missed the window to formally rejected it.

There has been a relatively short lead time for formal response, and despite LDTR's interim discussions with PV clearly portraying a negative vibe, PV have charged ahead as soon as the allotted time had expired and announced that their plans will be put in place June 1 this year. 

If only we could get action on a tree down across a trial with similar enthusiasm.

This is not an LDTR committee post, just a heads up to get you thinking and discussing the issue. There is more detail that may console some. Seemingly unrelated, PV have proposed a few new trails proposed trails. DEtail of these could be made available if required.

It will take some effort from all of you to turn PV around on this matter.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:30:20 PM by Case King »

Offline Case King

Re: 1 way trails at Lystie
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
On the trail proposal, I tried to accommodate riders in each direction. It is not like this is a new issue, PV have had probably almost a year now to either build on LDTR's proposal and develop a plan to have riders circumnavigate the park in both directions.

Is this just something to get done before EOF so it looks like they have done something other than appear to support LDTR since rebuilding the descent (I don't know if this is true or not)? Seemingly they don't care about the overall experience the park has to offer mountain bikers:
  • Is the park ready for one way trails?
  • Have their been accidents caused by 2 way trails?

Some riders will probably feel alienated not being able to ride in their preferred direction. Is this good for social sustainability?

How is PV selling this to their users?
  • Are they going to allow features on the newly opened one way trail?
  • Are the new features going to be as lack-luster as the existing features on the 2 way trails?
  • Can we realign the trails to suit single direction and increase rider experience?

Offline Plankosaurus

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:32:03 PM »
I wonder how they feel they're going to police this? I don't often go the other way any more, but a sign at the horsewood Rd entrance isn't likely to change my plans...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Offline Alistair

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
You guys either start playing hardball or continue being shafted by pv and this thrusting chief ranger.

Offline CKaos

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:31 PM »
In what shape can 'hardball' evolve?

LDTR have run events that promote the inclusion of all riders to the Lysterfield MTB trails. I think, within an unwritten contract, participants supporting these events expect the profits raised will assist in maintaining the trails that the event is run on. There are many commercial identities that have ignored this principle in the past, and I trust that calmer will catch up with them.

But, given LDTR's charter, how can they play hardball without diluting the good will of their supporters?

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 08:44:26 AM »
As you may be aware, in 2016 Parks Victoria commissioned IMBA to do a trail audit of all the Mountain bike trails at Lysterfield. IMBA came back to PV with a fairly extensive list of improvements to the trail network that will see the trails become more sustainable and improve the rider experience.

One of the findings from the IMBA report was the best practise of one way trails. All of our Black trails are already one way, however most of our Blue and Green trails are two way. Most new MTB destinations are only building one way trails, and it has been recommended in the IMBA report to make our trails all one way.

As the land managers, Parks Victoria are wanting this to happen sooner than later. As a club managing trails that have been ridden two way for 20 years, we intend to advocate for the change to one way trails be done gradually over time, allowing us to build more trails to network.

We have a meeting with Parks Vic on Monday 3rd June to negotiate our position. In preparation for this meeting, I would like to know how our club members and regular Lysterfield users feel about the trails becoming one way. Please check your emails for a link to the survey.

Many thanks,

Tim
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Plankosaurus

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 06:56:35 AM »
Survey completed, seemed fairly well thought out.

Is it worth getting the survey out to the broader MTB community?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Offline CaulPete

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 08:46:09 PM »
May I add my thoughts?  I recently completed the survey, more or less agreeing that I can accept a change to one-way for all trails.  However I thought more about it when riding there yesterday.  One of the things that delights me at Lysty is when I see mums and dads introducing their kids to single-track.  Not a parent myself, but I suspect many young kids and some inexperienced older riders may not have the stamina to do an entire circuit of Buckle - Redgum - Hug /Blair Witch.  If they don't have the option to turn back part-way, at least there should be a number of options for shorter loops.  This would require the cutting of exits and new trail sections looping back to the carpark area.   Is there any funding source for this?  It would be really sad to see an impediment to new and young riders, in the form of route reversal without other options.
Thanks,

Peter

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!