Author Topic: newbie bike suggestions?  (Read 226 times)

Offline BikeyB

newbie bike suggestions?
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »
Hi all,

I used to ride at lysterfield a few years ago on bikes I picked up off hard rubbish. I understand very well that you don't need a top of the line bike to have fun and tackle a lot of the trails, but I would like something reliable and of decent quality. Brand new or second hand I don't mind, but I'm unsure of where I should even start looking. Hard tail? all-mountain? XC? I want to avoid spending money on something with acera or equivalent if I can, but not sure how high I should go. I ride road often and know my way around bikes pretty well, there's just a lot to mountain bikes I didn't expect  :o

Thanks  :)

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
Re: newbie bike suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »
Depending on your budget. If you are thinking under $1000, maybe look for a good secondhand bike. MTB’s do not hold their value, so you can usually get a great deal on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace.

A good all rounder would be a dual suspension bike with 130mm to 150mm travel. This will be more than capable for Lysty, You Yangs and Buller.

All the bike brands are pretty much identical these days, so just get the bike that has the best geometry for you.

Hope that helps.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
  • Does the word 'shred' mean anything to you?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:29:54 PM »
Hi, I don't really understand the comment about Acera. If you plan to do a reasonable amount of riding and are seeking reliable durable equipment then SLX components will do really well, or otherwise Deore.
Hardtail is quite adequate for Lysty and a dual suspension is more fun.
Second hand can be a fantastic way to get started but it's buyer beware.

Offline BikeyB

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
thanks guys. Was planning sub $1000 if possible but they range so much, just gotta look around I guess. I think I'll go the second hand route. I was worried I'd buy a hardtail and then a couple of months down the track regret it, seems like I won't though.
I wanted to avoid the lower groupsets because the road equivalents are kinda mushy compared to the not much more expensive higher versions. From what I've read elsewhere it seems to be the case with mtb too.

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!